Nordstrom Cuts Jobs To Adapt To The Changing Consumers
Nordstrom is cutting back. The department store chain announced last week that it will eliminate up to 400 jobs at its headquarters and regional offices in an attempt to cut about $60 million in annual costs.
The company said it will seek to minimize the number of people losing jobs as the first job cuts will be in currently open positions. Those who are let go will receive separation pay and benefits. In recent years, Nordstrom has been concentrating more of its efforts on enterprise technology enhancements in an effort to keep pace with a changing consumer base.
“We will never change our commitment to serving customers, but recognize how they want to be served has been changing at an increasingly rapid pace,” said Blake Nordstrom, co-president, Nordstrom, Inc., in a statement. “Meeting our customers’ expectations means we must continually evolve with them. We see opportunities to create a more efficient and agile organization that ensures we’re best positioned to achieve our goals.”
The newly announced job cuts come a month after Nordstrom confirmed to GeekWire that it has cut 130 technology-related positions. Nordstrom employs more than 7,000 at its headquarters and around 70,000 worldwide when you include part-time positions.
In an online discussion last week, many of the industry insiders on the RetailWireBrainTrust approved of Nordstrom’s move.
“I would be far more worried about cuts at the field/store levels than at national or even regional offices,” said Steve Montgomery, president of B2B Solutions. “The retail world is changing and more retailers are not leading the change with adjustments in staffing from brick-and-mortar to online. I expect that many of the jobs being cut are a result of this change.”
I. Multiple Choice
1.Tadho is the only one of those students who ______ lived up the potential described in the year book.
2. One of my friends ___ an extra on The Compettion this week
3.Not only the students but also their instructor ______ been called to the principal’s office.
4. Most of the fruit ____ gone bad. Thousand kilos of fruit _____ still in the crate.
a. Have – are
b. Has – is
c. Has – are
d. Have – is
5. Five years ____ a long time to spend away from your family.
b. Has been
d. Have been
6. A large number of voters still ____ along straight-party line.
7. Nobody _____ the trouble I’ve seen.
8. Mathematics ____ Nadya’s favorite subject, while Civics ____ Darrel’s favorite subject.
a. Is – are
b. Are – is
c. Is – is
d. Are – are
9. The Prime Minister, together with his wife, _____ the press cordially.
10. The large companies in our area ___ a cheap source of labor.
II. Error Analysis
- The players is going to the pizza restaurant after today’s game.
- They walk to school every day. But sometimes one of them are go to school by car.
- He was quite amusing when he heard what had
- The robber give the victims a lot of stab at the stomach.
- I has never traveled I might next year, though.
- They doesn’t mind staying late if they have a lot of
- She was really selfish. She only care about
- I wish I has more time to finish the
- She study for four hours at the library last week.
- After a few minutes, I looks up and saw that it was getting dark.
- We spends not only some time in the urban area but also went to the countryside from time to time.
- We has to do it ourselves as there are not enough workers to finish it on time.
- I has to think about the problem for a while, but I finally figured it out.
- Amy sit beside me in class while Sita is behind me.
- They gives him more responsibilities since he is handling his current responsibilities very well.